This is a blog dedicated to my cooking classes. Schedule and photos of the classes will be posted here. Please come back frequently to check on new class schedule.

Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Coconut Milk French Toast


I love a good French Toast. When I was growing up back home in Malaysia...my mum called it Bombay Toast. When I moved here, I learn its called French Toast. Funny. It's the same thing. I guess its called Bombay Toast back home since India is closer to Malaysia and its only smarter to name it after a closer city. Again, funny.

I came across this mouth watering French Toast recipe from my latest purchase "Easy Breakfast & Brunch, Simple recipes for morning treats". If anyone knows me at all...they know I go to bed thinking about what's for breakfast. It gives me a smile and a perfect good nights sleep. I LOVE BREAKFAST! like I love my second breakfast, my daily snacks, my lunch, my tea-time snacks and my dinner. I know it does not make any sense to you but it makes perfect sense in my little-constantly-thinking-about-food-head. Today for dinner, I bumped into a dear friend and she said "oh you love food".

Anyways...you must love the first meal of the day. How can you not? Please say you love breakfast. If so, try this recipe. It's French Toast with Coconut Milk instead of regular milk. It's a surprising twist to a regular dish and its so simple and easy to make.

French Toast with Coconut Milk

1/2 vanilla bean (I used 1 tsp of essences of vanilla)
2/3 cup canned coconut milk
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 tbsp superfine sugar
1/4 tbsp ground cardamom
4 tbsp unsalted butter
8 slices of any sweet bread

to serve
blueberries
whipped cream
confectioners' sugar to dust
lemon rind
cinnamon powder

Put the coconut milk, eggs, sugar, vanilla essences, and cardamom, in a bowl and beat well. Pour the mixture into a shallow dish.
Heat half the butter in a large skillet. Dip 2 slices of bread into the egg mixture and saute until golden on both sides, about 2 minutes for each side. Repeat with the remaining slices and serve dusted with the dusting sugar, and topped with the blueberries, whipped cream and I used a little bit of lemon rind and cinnamon powder to add more flavor.

Enjoy.

3 Comments:

Blogger Zoe Francois said...

Really, what a fabulous idea to use coconut milk!

9:50 AM

 
Blogger Washer's World said...

Try it. It's truly amazing.

9:59 PM

 
Blogger shalu said...

Just made this for breakfast and it was wonderfully delicious!! The quantities were perfect for 4 large slices of whole wheat bread.

11:01 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home